Library Catalog - Kentucky Historical Society

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Chandelier
Catalog Number 1990.14.35
Date ca. 1922
Material(s) Copper; steel; ceramic; glass;
Dimensions H-25.5 W-20 D-4.75 inches
Description This is a copper plated steel tube chandelier with two gas fixtures on radial arms. The gas flow to each arm is contolled by two flow adjustment knobs between the arm and the air baffle. There are ornate cast clover pattern shut-off valves at the bases of each arm. Each fixture has a clay mantle burner. The whole hangs on a steel hanger pole with the fixtures at the ends of two decorative flanges. The top of the hanger pole sports a flat, bell-shaped cover for the gas lines in the ceiling. Two round glass globes can be secured by spring wires in either fixture. Parts b and c are glass globes that are hafls frosted.
Notes From the Lawrence County farm of the Gambill family operated by Dr. Henry H. Gambill, his twin brother Dr. John Gambill, and Henry's son Charles(the donor). The home was begun in 1922; the family moved inside in December 1923. An affluent home of country doctors who also farmed and invested in area business, the home was constructed with expensive details brought in from the railroad at Hitchens and Webbville. The house originally had combination gas and electric lights powered by a DC generator in the basement. With the coming of rural electrification in the 1940s, these fxtures were stored in the attic.
Collection KHS Museum Collection
Subjects Gas light fixtures
Gas-lighting
Lighting
Lamps
Physical Holder Kentucky Historical Society - KHS