|Object Name||Table, Dining|
|Dimensions||H-28.5 W-53.25 D-21.75 inches|
|Description||This cherry banquet end table has a serpentine front and reeded legs. The top of the legs has three rings topped with a square capital. The dropleaf is a plain rectangular shape with square corners.|
The table is attributed to Porter Clay who operated a cabinet shop in Lexington. According to family tradition, the table belonged to the donor's great-grandfather, Lewis Sanders, a Lexington merchant who later started the Sanders' Cotton and Woolen Mills on Georgetown Pike/Sandersville Road.
Porter Clay (1779-1849) was a brother to Henry Clay. He came to Kentucky from Virginia in 1792, He was apprenticed to Thomas Whitney, a Lexington cabinetmaker. In 1798, Porter ran awy to New York City where he worked as a journeyman. He returned to Lexington in 1799, established a cabinet shop, and made furniture until 1808. (source: Kentucky Treasures: Selections from the Cox Collection, 2014.) Admitted to the bar in 1815, Porter Clay later served as State Auditor of Public Accounts for fourteen years.
|Collection||KHS Museum Collection|
|Physical Holder||Kentucky Historical Society - KHS|