|Material(s)||Wood; copper; wrought iron|
|Dimensions||H-6.5 W-8 D-3.75 inches|
|Description||This piece of roofing from the Old State Capitol is a tongue and groove board. It is roughly finished and has been cut to form a point at one end. The piece has two small sheets of copper nailed to it. On sheet is rectangular and the other is roughly square. The board has five cut nails partially driven into it. The nail nearest the point is larger than the other four.|
Old card reads, "Portion of original roof of old state house showing copper roof."
The burning of the second State Capitol in 1824 forced state government to begin planning for a new building. In February, 1836 they approved the plans and estimates submitted by a 24 year old architect named Gideon Shyrock (1802-1880). His winning design marked the beginning of a career which would make Shyrock the "Father of Greek Revival Architecture in Kentucky." and one of the leading exponents of the style in America. Designed in the Greek Ionic order, the structure feature a marble pediment supported by six columns. It was originally covered by a copper roof and topped by an imposing cupola. The copper roof was replaced twice by tin roofs.
|Collection||KHS Museum Collection|
Old State Capitol
|Physical Holder||Kentucky Historical Society - KHS|