|Object Name||Bottle, Apothecary|
|Maker||Owens Bottle Company|
|Dimensions||H-4.5 W-1.875 D-1.875 Dia-1.875 inches|
|Description||This brown glass machine molded bottle has a round finish and is cylindrical in shape.|
This object was used in the Currey & Morgan Drugstore in Harrodsburg, Ky. In 1914, D. Lee Currey sold a one-half interest of his drug store to Leon Morgan, creating the Currey & Morgan Drugstore. Morgan had been Currey's clerk for nine years. Harry Joseph Russell (1928-1994), Leon Morgan's stepson graduated from the UK School of Pharmacy in 1951 and bought the Harrodsburg business in 1958. Russell inherited all of the equipment. He also collected related items from other sources. In 1968, Russell moved the business and renamed it Ft. Harrod Pharmacy. In 1984, Russell sold out to Vance Smith who consolidated the drugstores in Harrodsburg and sold them to SuperX/CVS, a national chain.
The Owens Bottle Company was in operation from 1919 to 1929. It was a part of a series of companies that began with the Toledo Glass Co. (1895-1920), the firm that developed the Owens Automatic Bottle Machine.
|Collection||Joe Russell Pharmacy Collection|
Owens Bottle Company
Currey and Morgan Drugstore
Currey, D. Lee
Mercer County (Ky.)
|Physical Holder||Kentucky Historical Society - KHS|