|Object Name||Container, Fishing|
|Dimensions||H-23.25 Dia-13 inches|
|Description||This Kentucky Game and Fish Commision fisheries can is a galvanized steel cylinder that has been riveted up the side and around the bottom. The piece is soldered at the shoulder and tapers to a turned out wide mouth. Two stamped steel handles are riveted aboce the shoulder. The interior of the piece is painted white and the exterior is painted gray. The number "33" is painted in white at the shoulder in two places. One side of the piece is stamped with the words "KY. GAME & FISH COM." The opposite side has a stenciled label that was marked with red paint. The label reads "RETURN BY BAGGAGE/ TO/ KY. GAME & FISH/ COMMISSION/ FRANKFORT, KY."|
From the Lawrence County farm of the Gambill family operated by Dr. Henry H. Gambill, his twin brother Dr. John Gambill, and Henry's son Charles (the donor). The farm operated from the early 1800s through the 1940s, although the tools only span from the 1870s through the 1940s.
In 1910, J. Quincy Ward, of Cynthiana, appeared before the Kentucky Legislature with the sportsmen’s request for a game and fish commission supported by license fees. The request was rejected but in 1912 he tried again and the Kentucky Game & Fish Commission was formed. The agency was given no funding and couldn't function until Governor James McCreary authorized a $5,000 loan to get the division started. The Commission issued game and fishing licenses and repaid the loan in the first year.
In 1944, the Kentucky Game & Fish Commission became the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources.
|Collection||KHS Museum Collection|
Kentucky Game and Fish Commission
Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife
|Physical Holder||Kentucky Historical Society - KHS|