|Dimensions||H-13.75 W-11.5 inches|
|Description||This doll has a wooden body apparently made from bedpost or other simple turning. The head is oblong and rounded. The body is long and rounded at the top and bottom. The face has shallow hand-carved features. The doll has a brown calico print sack dress that is attached at the neck with a drawstring. The dress appears to have one sleeve. The drawstring is a green and white checked fabric.|
The Alburtis Ringo family settled in Fleming County, Ky., in 1806. Their initial plot of land was deeded to Alburtis for his service in the Revolutionary War. Alburtis and his wife, Hannah, had 13 children. Daughters Sarah (age 6), Mary (age 4) and Margaret (age 2) were young enough when they moved to Kentucky to have played with this doll.
This doll was brought to Kentucky from Virginia by the Alburtis Ringo family who settled in Fleming County, Ky., in 1806. Mary Willie Ringo Walker Harper (daughter of Frances "Fanny" Ringo Walker: daughter of John Robert Ringo: son of Alburtis Ringo) took the doll from the Ringo farm on Mt. Carmel Pike in Fleming County, Ky. This was after the death of her mother in 1882. Mary Harper gave the doll to the donor, David Ringo about 1964. David Ringo donated it in 1985.
|Collection||David L. Ringo Collection|
Ringo, Alburtis "Burtis"
Childhood & youth
Fleming County (Ky.)
|Physical Holder||Kentucky Historical Society - KHS|