|Object Name||Sign, Traffic|
|Common Name||milestone/mile marker|
|Dimensions||H-42 W-14.5 D-3.5 inches|
|Description||This cast iron milestone was a mile marker from the old Maysville and Lexington trace or turnpike. The piece is rectangular in shape with a rounded top and a raised lip around the edges. The inscription and direction signs are cast into the surface. The following inscriptions and directions signs are noted top to bottom: "ZANESVILLE," then a direction sign of a hand pointing to the right side of the piece, "MAYSVILLE," then a cast dividing line, next is a cast hand pointing to the left side of the piece, next is the inscription "LEXINGTON," beneath that is a 3 1/4 inch space, next are the words "NASHVILLE." and "FLORENCE.," beneath that is a dividing line, next is a cast image of hands pointing in both directions meeting at the wrist, beneath that are 3 cast lines. The piece has two iron bolts for attachment. The first bolt is located 8 inches down from the top of the piece at the center line beneath the word Maysville. The second bolt is located 25 inches down from the top of the piece at the center line. Each bolt has a square nut on the back. The back also has a ledge cast into the piece approximately 5 inches from the top.|
This piece is a mile post from the old Limestone Trace or the Maysville Lexington Turnpike that ran between Maysville, Kentucky and Lexington, Kentucky. The donation file indicates that the piece dates to 1816. Plans for turning the Limestone Trace into the Maysville Lexington Turnpike did not appear until 1817. The Maysville, Washington, Paris, and Lexington Turnpike Road Company was established to raise funds for the effort. In 1830, Henry Clay proposed a bill to authorize spending $150,000 federal funds to invest in turnpike stock but the bill was vetoed by President Andrew Jackson on May 27, 1830. The Kentucky State Legislature did provide funds to complete the road.
The turnpike was the first road in the state to have the McAdam road treatment. This road treatment was developed by John Loudon McAdam around 1820 and utilized layers of small stones with a binder as a surface treatment.
|Collection||Mrs. W.T. Lafferty and J.C. Taylor Collection|
|Physical Holder||Kentucky Historical Society - KHS|