|Object Name||Bottle, Medicine|
|Maker||Upjohn Company / T.C. Wheaton Company|
|Dimensions||H-5.625 W-2.375 D-1.5 inches|
|Description||This proprietary medicine bottle contained Cheracol. It is machine molded brown glass with a prescription finish. It is oval in shape similar to a flask. It has tapered shoulders, round neck, and a lip at the opening. It has a cork closure. A paper label with a black ink is glued to the front. The label is inscribed "4 Ounces / Cheracol / with Codeine / (Upjohn) / ALCOHOL 3%." Below this is a list of ingredients and directions. Near the bottom is the Upjohn Company logo which includes a circle with a drawing of a closed hand in it. At the bottom is inscribed "The Upjohn Company / Makers of Fine Pharmaceuticals / Kalamazoo, Mich."|
This object was used in the Currey & Morgan Drugstore in Harrodsburg, Ky. In 1914, D. Lee Currey sold a one-half interest of his drug store to Leon Morgan, creating the Currey & Morgan Drugstore. Morgan had been Currey's clerk for nine years. Harry Joseph Russell (1928-1994), Leon Morgan's stepson graduated from the UK School of Pharmacy in 1951 and bought the Harrodsburg business in 1958. Russell inherited all of the equipment. He also collected related items from other sources. In 1968, Russell moved the business and renamed it Ft. Harrod Pharmacy. In 1984, Russell sold out to Vance Smith who consolidated the drugstores in Harrodsburg and sold them to SuperX/CVS, a national chain.
William Erastus (W.E.) Upjohn and his brother Henry established The Upjohn Pill and Granule Company in 1886. In 1902, the name was shortened to "The Upjohn Company."
The T.C. Wheaton Co. was established in 1888 on the outskirts of Millville. N. J. It produced pharmaceutical glassware.
|Collection||Joe Russell Pharmacy Collection|
T.C. Wheaton Company
Currey and Morgan Drugstore
Currey, D. Lee
Mercer County (Ky.)
|Physical Holder||Kentucky Historical Society - KHS|