Library Catalog - Kentucky Historical Society

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Bottle, Apothecary
Catalog Number 2001.76.97
Date c. 1900
Material(s) Glass
Dimensions H-9 W-2.875 inches
Description This apothecary bottle is a turn molded made of clear soda-lime glass bottle. It is cylindrical in shape with rounded shoulders, a wide mouth and prescription finish. A ground glass stopper is in the top. There is no label.
Notes This object was used in the Currey & Morgan Drugstore in Harrodsburg, Ky. In 1914, D. Lee Currey sold a one-half interest of his drug store to Leon Morgan, creating the Currey & Morgan Drugstore. Morgan had been Currey's clerk for nine years. Harry Joseph Russell (1928-1994), Leon Morgan's stepson graduated from the UK School of Pharmacy in 1951 and bought the Harrodsburg business in 1958. Russell inherited all of the equipment. He also collected related items from other sources. In 1968, Russell moved the business and renamed it Ft. Harrod Pharmacy. In 1984, Russell sold out to Vance Smith who consolidated the drugstores in Harrodsburg and sold them to SuperX/CVS, a national chain.
Collection Joe Russell Pharmacy Collection
People Currey and Morgan Drugstore
Currey, D. Lee
Morgan, Leon
Subjects Apothecaries
Apothecary shops
Medicine
Medicines
Drugs
Druggists
Search Terms Harrodsburg (Ky.)
Mercer County (Ky.)
Kentucky
Physical Holder Kentucky Historical Society - KHS