Library Catalog - Kentucky Historical Society

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Fiddle
Catalog Number 1904.29 ab
Date ca. 1800
Material(s) Gourd; wood/Wood/Leather
Dimensions H-23 W-6 D-6.25 inches
Description The body of this fiddle is made from a gourd. More than half of the gourd was used. The open area on the front is covered with wood, leaving the center hollow. The wood covering has two sound holes in it. The scroll, neck, bridge and tailpiece are all made of wood. The scroll is crudely carved. There are four strings attached to four pegs. There is a leather strip attached to the tail piece. The bow is made of wood. The bow hair is fraying.
Notes Accession files recorded that this fiddle was "made by early settler and used for many years, given to W.W. Longmoor after his election to Clerk, Court of Appeals in 1890."

It was donated by his wife, Louisa Bell Addams Longmoor.

HISTORY OF KENTUCKY AND KENTUCKIANS, E. Polk Johnson, three volumes,
Lewis Publishing Co., New York & Chicago, 1912. Common version, Vol. III,
pp. 1218-19-20. [Franklin County]

WOODFORD W. LONGMOOR--It was within the province of the late Woodford
Woodnut Longmoor to have wielded a large and beneficent influence in the
business, social and public affairs of his native state, which he also
represented as a gallant soldier of the Confederacy in the Civil war, and
he was that exponent of that high type of manhood which ever stands
indicatory of usefulness and subjective integrity and honor. He was
incumbent of the office of clerk of the Kentucky court of appeals at the
time of his death, which occurred in Frankfort, the capital city, on the
20th of March, 1891.
Mr. Longmoor was a scion of families whose names have been identified
with the history of Kentucky since the pioneer epoch. He himself was born
in Kenton county, on the 21st of June, 1840, and he was a son of George
and Amanda (Hammett) Longmoor, the former of whom was born in Bourbon
county, this state, and the latter of whom was born in Kenton county, where
her father Samuel Hammett, was a pioneer farmer. George Longmoor became
one of the prosperous agriculturalists of Kenton county, where he continued
to reside until his death, which occurred in 1847, his wife surviving him
by a number of years.
As a lad of fourteen years Woodford W. Longmoor was sent to the
neighboring city of Cincinnati, Ohio, to attend school, where he continued
his studies for a period of five years, the last two of which he passed in
Farmers' College, an excellent institution of that period. He also
completed a commercial course in the same city, and there he assumed a
clerical position in a foundry after he left school. When the Civil war
was precipitated upon a divided nation he forthwith manifested his
intrinsic loyalty to the cause of the Confederacy by enlisting as a private
in Company H, Second Kentucky Infantry, with which he served three months,
at the expiration of which he was compelled to return to his home that he
might recuperate from injuries received in a severe fall. After his
recovery he assisted in the organization of two companies, under the
command of Captain Corbin, of Boone county, and he accompanied the command
as far as Mount Sterling, Montgomery county, where the troops were routed
by Unions soldiers, who had concealed themselves in the court house and
in private dwellings. In this encounter a number of the Confederate
soldiers were killed. In attempting to effect his escape Mr. Longmoor was
captured by the Winchester Home Guards, who incarcerated him in the Clark
county jail. The next day he was sent to Lexington, and later he was
taken to Covington and Cincinnati, from which latter city he was removed
to Camp Chase, at Columbus, Ohio, and finally he was sent to the Federal
prison on Johnson's island, in Lake Erie. After several months of
imprisonment he was exchanged, in the autumn of 1862. He made his way to
Murfreesboro, Tennessee, where he found Colonel Hanson of the old Second
Infantry, and by his commander Mr. Longmoor became a member of Company B
of the Second Kentucky Cavalry, with which he remained until after the
battle of Cynthiana, Kentucky, on the 17th of June, 1864. He participated
in the various raids and engagements in which his command was involved,
and in the memorable raid of General Morgan he was again captured. He
was held at Camp Douglas, Chicago, for four months and then made his
escape. After a perilous trip through Ohio and Kentucky he finally
succeeded in rejoining his regiment at Wytheville, Virginia. At Cynthiana,
on the 11th of the same month, he had received a severe wound in the thigh,
and this injury finally necessitated the amputation of this right leg.
For nearly two years after the amputation of his leg Mr. Longmoor
was unable to move about, but in 1866 he engaged in the dry-goods business
in which he continued until 1868, when he changed to the furniture
business, in which he there continued until 1874. In that year he was
elected clerk of the circuit and criminal courts of Harrison county, of
which office he continued incumbent for sixteen years. In 1890 there
came further recognition of his ability and effective services, in that he
was elected clerk of the Kentucky court of appeals, the highest tribunal
of the state. He took the oath of office in September of that year and
moved to Frankfort, where he continued in tenure of the office until his
death, which occurred on the 20th of the following March, after an illness
of brief duration. Mr. Longmoor was a man of strong intellectual powers
and mature judgment, and his life was guided and governed according to the
highest principles of integrity and honor, so that he held inviolable
place in the confidence and respect of his fellow men. He was an
uncompromising advocate of the cause of the Democratic party, and was for
years active in its work. He was affiliated with the United Confederate
Veterans' Association and other civic organizations.
In the year 1867 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Longmoor to Miss
Louisa Bell Addams, of Cynthiana, Kentucky, and she now maintains her home
in Frankfort. She is a daughter of the late Abram Addams, who was a scion
of an old and distinguished Virginia family, a number of whose members were
found enrolled as patriotic soldiers in the war of the Revolution.
Woodford W. Longmoor, Jr., is the only child of Mr. and Mrs. Longmoor, is
given a brief sketch in the following paragraphs.
Woodford W. Longmoor bears the fully patronymic of his honored father,
to whom brief memorial tribute has been paid in the preceding paragraphs,
and it may be said that he is well upholding the presige of the family
name. Mr. Longmoor is now incumbent of the office of city clerk of
Frankfort, is a member of the bar of his native state and has been
successful in connection with the promotion of important enterprises so
that he stands as a representative business man of the capital city, where
he has maintained his home since his father here assumed the office of
clerk of the court of appeals.
Woodford Woodnut Longmoor, Jr., was born in Cynthiana, Kentucky, on
the 21st of January, 1872, and there he was reared to years of maturity,
duly availing himself of the advantages of the public schools and having
been graduated in the high school as a member of the class of 1890. He
then began reading law under the effective preceptorship of John B. Minor
in the University of Virginia, at Charlottesville, and later he continued
his studies in the Louisville Law School, but the sudden death of his
father in March, 1891, caused him to abandon his work in this institution.
He returned to Frankfort, where he was appointed deputy clerk of the court
of appeals, of which his father had been clerk at the time of his death
and in which office the latter was succeeded by his wife's brother,
Abram Addams. The subject of this sketch held the office of deputy clerk
for seven years, and in the meanwhile, in 1892, he had been licensed to
practice law. After leaving the office of the clerk of the court of
appeals he was for a time in the law office of Hon. Proctor Knott, former
governor of the state, and later was identified with professional work
in the office of Thomas H. Hines, another representative member of the
bar of the capital city.
Mr. Longmoor was the organizer of the Frankfort Telephone Company,
and for more than five years he was actively identified with the telephone
business, in connection with which he showed marked initiative and
administrative ability, as did he later in the promotion of the electric
interurban line between Frankfort and Versailles--this being the first
interurban road to be granted a franchise in Kentucky. Mr. Longworth was
elected city clerk of Frankfort in November, 1909, and the duties of this
office now engross a goodly portion of his time and attention. He has
ever manifested a lively interest in the history of his native state and
is at the present time vice-president and curator of the Kentucky
Historical Society. He is also one of the vice-presidents of the Ohio
Valley Historical Society, and he is an enthusiastic worker in both of
these sterling organizations. In the Masonic fraternity he has attained
the chivalric orders, being therein identified with the Frankfort
commandery of Knights Templars, and he is also a member of the Ancient
Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is one of the valued
members of Frankfort Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of
which he is past exalted ruler. His political faith is that in which he
was reared, and he is thus a stalwart in the camp of the Democratic party.
On October 15, 1901, Mr. Longmoor was united in marriage to Miss Ruth
Gordon Ely, daughter of Dr. James R. Ely, one of the leading physicians
and representative citizens of Frankfort.
Collection Louisa Longmoor Collection
People Longmoor, Woodford W.
Subjects Fiddles
Musical instruments
Search Terms Kentucky
Frankfort (Ky.)
Physical Holder Kentucky Historical Society - KHS