|Object Name||Bottle, Apothecary|
|Maker||Whitall-Tatum & Company|
|Dimensions||H-10.25 W-3.5 inches|
|Description||This apothecary bottle has an improved tool finish and is made of clear soda-lime glass. It is rectangular in shape with a flared lip. A ground glass stopper is in the top. On the front is a recess for a painted label. The label is mostly removed but was a white label with gold border is painted directly on the glass. A white residue is in the bottle and there is black discoloration on the lip.|
This object was used in the Currey and Morgan Drugstore in Harrodsburg, Ky. In 1914, D. Lee Currey sold a one-half interest of his drug store to Leon Morgan, creating the Currey and Morgan Drugstore. Morgan had been Currey's clerk for nine years.
The Whitall-Tatum & Company manufactured a variety of glass products. It started out under another name in 1806 on the banks of the Maurice River in Millville, N.J. by James Lee along with several other men. Thereafter the factory went through a puzzling succession of ownerships. In 1857 the name was changed to "Whitall Tatum & Company", and finally in 1901, to "Whitall Tatum Company" which was the name used until 1938.
Whitall Tatum produced very large quantities of bottles and fruit jars throughout much of the mid- and late 19th century. Pharmacy, druggist, barber, perfume, chemical and other types of bottles in various colors and styles were produced. Whitall Tatum is especially well-known for the production of tremendous quantities of prescription bottles, blown for hundreds of local pharmacies across the country, embossed with their names and addresses using interchangeable slug plates inserted into the mold. Most of those types of pharmacy bottles marked "W.T. & Co." on the base generally date from approximately 1875 to around 1901, and are most frequently found in a good-quality clear (colorless) glass. Less commonly-seen are examples found in a beautiful rich teal green glass, as well as cobalt blue. After the firm name was changed to "Whitall Tatum Company" in 1901, the marking on bottle molds was changed slightly to "W.T.CO."
Adapted from http://www.glassbottlemarks.com/whitall-tatum/
|Collection||Joe Russell Pharmacy Collection|
Whitall-Tatum & Company
Currey and Morgan Drugstore
Currey, D. Lee
Mercer County (Ky.)
|Physical Holder||Kentucky Historical Society - KHS|